Besides the obvious that they track you and sell your soul to the world, now they are being forced to turn over searches to the Government. This sounds eerily like the 3rd Reich or Stalin or Mao.
Eric Schmidt (then CEO) told me he’d sell his mother’s info. It was all I needed to know. I’m pretty sure I thanked him for being honest.
Accidental leak reveals US government has secretly hit Google with ‘keyword warrants’ to identify ANYONE searching certain names, addresses, and phone numbers
This is what they say they are doing:
- Investigators are secretly using keyword warrants to help track down criminals
- The relatively new style of warrant orders Google to track and provide user data on anyone who searches specific names, addresses or telephone numbers
- Cybersecurity experts fear that keyword warrants set a precedent for breaching the fourth amendment protection against unreasonable searches
- Google, however, has defended its decision to respond to the federal government’s keyword warrants and claims they protect users when doing so
- Both the FBI and Department of Homeland Security have been cited as entities that have or may use keyword warrants
They can get whatever they want and if you are on their bad Santa list, whatever you put in can and will be used against you.
Of course they have done the same to Microsoft and Yahoo. It’s why everyone should use Duck Duck Go instead, but then you’d have to be smart.